Uncovering patterns in business, financial and economic data
Hughes Consulting focuses on the interface of management, economics and technology, especially as it applies to network businesses impacted by trends in the digital economy. Much of our work involves uncovering hidden patterns in data as it relates to the decisions made by management, the actions of government, buyers, suppliers and competitors, and changes in market context. Our analysis relies on the application of scientific methods underpinned by business economic and strategic management theories:
- Quantifying the value of assets and implications for pricing in network industries in telecommunications, energy and logistics
- Evaluating the impact of changes in contractual conditions with buyers and suppliers, and past management policies, especially where these apply to information and communications technology
- Assessing the extent to which the commercial actions of a business comply with the requirements set down in legislation
Expert Determination and independent reviews
Expert Determination is a dispute resolution process in which an independent expert on the subject matter, is appointed by the parties to resolve a disagreement. By prior agreement of the parties, the expert’s decision is legally binding on the parties.
Expert Determination is used where the differences between the parties relates to technical issues, such as whether a proposed process technology solution has any prospect of delivering the promised outcomes, and contract performance matters.
These types of impasse can occur where technological changes during a project mean that the original proposed solution is no longer appropriate. Expert Determination can also be used where there is disagreement on whether:
- In a rapidly changing consumer market, a project that is failing to deliver on time and budget should be shut down or not
- The scope of a proposed process transformation programme goes far enough
- The proposed type of contract relationship is workable given the competence of the buyer
Because of its flexibility, Expert Determination is ideally suited to disputes involving several parties where the parties wish to continue working together, and do not want to embark on a legal process that will result in a breakdown in relations between them. Unlike Expert Determinations, independent reviews are used where one party commissions the review for their own purposes.
Expert witness and advisor
We provide forensic economic services related to the areas of strategic management and act as expert advisors on matters where commercial disputes arise. Work has been completed for the Crown, State Owned Enterprises, and publicly listed companies. Some of these matters have resulted in High Court cases, where we have submitted expert testimony on commercial issues, including those relating to pricing formulae, and the economic source of business assets.
Our skill is explaining complex business and commercial situations, and the different circumstances that can give rise to them. Evidence of our competence to do this are the strategic management assignments we have completed, and the related research we have undertaken.